February 9, 2009

Powere Plays for Beginners, Chapter 1:9

Absent Presence

The presence and absence
Combine to make whole
What was once granted
Is gifted again

My sisters each took a week to speak their own minds and mews without interference from each other. I chose to spend my week in Internet silence, not because I expected to be missed, but because I always approve of an experiment.  Have you ever watched a silent, empty screen with its blinking cursor and put upon yourself no pressure to write? Not a syllable, not a letter.

Try it some time. Let the need to fill a blank page fall away. Make friends with the emptiness, the blink of the cursor. Let it wait for you, then let it wait some more. Eventually, walk away, knowing that you have accomplished exactly what you set out to do: write nothing at all.

No comments: