January 7, 2009

My Favorite Chore

I like to hunt the dark spaces
The places in between
But humom piles more darkness on
Don't you think that's mean?


Humom was doing what she calls "making the bed" the other day. I love it when she strips that platform bare and then layers on the sheets and blankets one by one. I hop up as soon as the process begins and she laughs and draws up each new layer gently, which is great. But I crouch still and purr to let her know when it's enough. A sheet and two blankets is perfect, thank you. But this time of year she just keeps piling them on: a comforter, another, an afghan...

It can wait, humom, it can wait. Let me explore the dark spaces first. Let me sleep where it's warm and enclosed, but not too heavy to breathe. You can finish your chores later. That's what you always say when the dishes need to be done.

No comments: